- Twitch + Amazon: Twitch partners with Amazon to allow top live-streamers to host “watch parties” while providing running commentary alongside 70+ Amazon Prime movie & TV shows.
- Launched on March 20, Nintendo Switch’s Animal Crossing: New Horizons is helping people amid Covid-19. During quarantines, users are hosting birthdays, weddings and gatherings within the game.
- Social networks are adding new features
- Instagram has partnered with Netflix on a new self-care series for young adults
- Pinterest adds new “Shop” tab to help consumers look for in-stock items
- Within the last two weeks, searches for “home office setup” are up over 70%; searches for employee gifts have quadrupled
- Introducing Quibi. The new platform launched on April 6 as a mobile-only app featuring shows that are under 10 minutes. These are “movie-quality shows” with new additions weekly
- The use of GIF stickers to communicate is on the rise amid Covid-19 (via GIPHY)
- “I Love You,” “I Miss You,” “You Got This” bumped up 30% in the past month
- HouseParty is rapidly growing as face-to-face social network, popular among GenZ
Brand Pivots & POVs:
Consumer Behavior is Changing:
- New Essentials: Over the last four weeks essentials have shifted from groceries and basic goods to boredom solving to a surge in grooming supplies (hair clippers, hair dye)
- Buying Frequency: Consumers want products in bigger packages for fewer trips. There’s been a resurgence in purchasing products in the middle of the store vs. the perimeter.
Moments in Time:
- 2020 Graduations
- Earth Day (April 22)
- Kentucky Derby (5/2)
- Cinco de Mayo (5/5)
- Nurses Week (5/6-12)
- Teacher Appreciation Week (5/4-8)
- Mother’s Day (May 10)