- eMarketer estimates the pandemic will drive nearly 11% spike in time spent with social
- Discord, a chat app for video gamers, provides gamers ways to find each other, coordinate play and talk while playing. (And so far, gamers love it.)
- Social networks are adding new features:
- Instagram rolls out “Support Small Business” sticker
- Instagram will more prominently show posts/stories from top health organizations
- TikTok is readying the launch of an AR ad format
- Twitter adds warnings to tweets with misleading COVID-19 information
- Facebook launched its brand new site
- They’ve also outlined their Graduation Week schedule and new tools for students
- TikTok changes rules on music usage by businesses
Brand Pivots & POVs:
- Article: American Eagle is Throwing the First-ever Virtual Prom, and You’re Invited
- Article: People are Flocking to This Digital Escape Room, Built with Zoom and Google Drive
- Article: Why Sustainability Could be More Crucial – and Difficult – for Brands in COVID-19 era
- Brief: Tostitos Sponsors Livestreamed Nacho Showdown between Guy Fieri, Bill Murray
- Brief: Spotify’s Listening Party Shows When People Stream the Same Songs
- Brief: MoonPie Unveils Virtual Roommate on Alexa
- Brief: Shipt Launches Digital Coupons for Shoppers
- Brief: Pedigree Supports Contactless Pet Adoption with Zoom Tie-in
- Brief: Grey Goose Hires Bartenders for Video Mixology Series
- Brief: Hormel Hosts Virtual Festival of 6 ‘Hope-filled’ Films on YouTube
- Survey: Consumers Tire of COVID-19-related Ads
Consumer Behavior is Changing:
- Games: Remember when we said puzzles were big? Heinz created a ketchup-colored puzzle.
- And, according to Amazon/Pacvue data, toy, game, crafting and DIY search terms are spiking at similar rates to Q4 holidays (e.g., puzzles, board games, paint-by-number)
- eCommerce: It’s forecasted that Q2 2020 ecommerce sales in the U.S. will reach an all-time high accounting for 17.9% of total U.S. retail spending.
- Grocery: as contactless payment is becoming more important, grocers are ramping up mobile check-out platforms.
- Cord-cutting: the pace of cord-cutting could accelerate as consumers are more conscious of spending and are facing the risk of less live sporting events.
Moments in Time:
- Memorial Day (5/25)
- LBGTQ Pride (June)
- Father’s Day (6/21)
- First Day of Summer (6/20)